Friday, June 28, 2013


*********give-away is now closed

Baby Bee is finished. Ever since I saw this quilt, I have wanted to try circle quilting. I'm so happy with how it turned out    : )

I used my walking foot and the quilting guide attachment to do circles about 1" apart.

Baby Bee got pebbles around him so I didn't have to do tiny circles.

My quilt finished about 33" square. Perfect for a stroller or on the floor.

Now for the giveaway.........

As a hexagon fanatic, I was loving it when Moda came out with these hexie pre-cuts! Katja, the owner of Katjas Quilt Shoppe where I work, has kindly offered a Honeycomb charm pack of happy-go-lucky to one of you. She also designed the Hexagon Alphabet I have been working on this past year. Her button is on my side bar, so feel free to take a look if you like.

Just leave me a (one) comment on this post for a chance to win. I'll leave it open until next week.

Have you switched over to Bloglovin yet?

quilt stats:
33" square
fabrics are Happy go Lucky by Moda
Hand pieced (because I can't stop)
Machine quilted

linking up with finish it up friday

Tuesday, June 25, 2013


Another month is nearly over. It's been wet and rather grey but that's okay because it meant more sewing time. The blocks I made for June are ,

apple leaf block for Jodi who wanted colours based on some art work she has

Katherine Wheel for Anne-Marie for 'Simply Solids'. I am not going to lie---this one scared me, but it wasn't too bad  : )

the blocks for the Heal@do.good stiches are arriving in my mailbox. Looking forward to putting this together for a great cause

I still have one more block to do, but I'm waiting on fabric. Lucky for me there are still a few days left......

Happy stitching!

Friday, June 21, 2013


Wednesday was a fun day. A friend and I got together to each make a Tuffet.  The instructions were in this book Quilt Love.

I used a heavier weight home dec fabric that I thought looked a little like a Kate Spain print.

The top was meant to have an octagon sewn on but Dawn suggested a hexi flower. Love it!

The most fiddly part was sewing on the hexagon. Other than that, it was pretty straight forward.

The bottom

Just to give you an idea of how big this is, I found a wool batting that filled a large green garbage bag. I used all of it, plus a bag of polyfil.

Here it is in the nursery patiently waiting for Little Miss Muffet #1 and #2 to come for a visit  : )

Dawn had to leave before hers was finished but I will try to get a picture of it. She used Lily and Wil fabrics by Moda. I'm quite pleased with it and will most likely make another. Could be a cute gift sometime.

Enjoy your week-end.

linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts

Tuesday, June 18, 2013


So.......I made another bee. This time with a green background instead of the grey. If he's to be in the centre of my flowers, he needed to be on green.

The centre is together and I am appliqueing it down to the background.

So close to finishing my alphabet

I'm having a sew day on Wednesday with a friend so I'll be back to show you what I make with these.

linking up with Sarah

Thursday, June 13, 2013


My Plus quilt top is together--although small. After I joined all the rows I decided it has to be bigger.
24 blocks just isn't enough!

It's a random mix of low volume for the background and bright fabrics for the Plus signs.

This is one of my favourite background prints. Love those wee turtles

I have an appointment with the quilter in July, so I have until then to get more blocks added on

Also, I have my two grand babes today so I set up the 'pool'            : )

Should be fun!

linking up with Cindy for Random Thursday

Monday, June 10, 2013


I'm still not exactly sure where I'm going with this, but I threw another bee in with the hexies I've been working on. Most likely a baby quilt

For my alphabet quilt, the letter U

and V

Also, because Mondays can be a little drab, I thought I'd share a link to this blog I found. Celi and her husband have been learning to live off the land. This blog is about their adventure and the antics of some of their animals. Charlotte is due to have her babies any day. Enjoy


Friday, June 7, 2013


This week only allowed part of one day for sewing, so I worked on my plus blocks. In an attempt to only use each fabric once, I have nearly gone through all my low volume fabrics for the background.
Time to stock up on some more.

I am aiming for one like this. I love it! 

The new Hexie pre-cuts from Moda are the perfect size for the 2 1/2" hexie paper templates. It's always nice to sit outside and baste these to my hearts content  : )

This little project is shaping up nicely.
Happy Friday

Monday, June 3, 2013


After piecing the quilt from my previous post, I thought I should really finish something on my UFO list. I looked around my sewing room and this quilt caught my eye.  It's not very big, so I figured it wouldn't take long.

In an effort to use what I had, I dug around for a suitable backing. It was just shy in width so I had to add a piece.  I seamed together 3 pieces of batting scraps, and the binding is made up of strips of the border fabric and a solid grey because I didn't have enough of either. Good grief, it's a wonder this got finished at all!

I quilted it a 1/4" on either side of the seams. I like the little square the quilting makes at the intersections.

The quilt is 45 x 52 and done  : )

Also I foundation pieced this little bee after seeing one at A Quilters Table. It's a free download from Badskirt. So cute!  I added some strips around it to bring it up to a block size I can use in my quilt.

.......and another one for Katja because she liked it. I need to embroider the antennae.

That's it for today. Have a great week!

quilt stats :
pattern is Crazy Eights
45 x 52
quilted and pieced by me