Wednesday, January 16, 2013

CHICLETS

Over the past few weeks, we've had snow snow and more snow. I have hunkered down in my sewing room and tried to ignore the weather. I got myself a new book-- Modern Quilts, and was delighted to discover I already follow most of the bloggers featured. I think I would make every quilt in here.




One has to start somewhere, so I picked "Everything's Coming Up Rainbows" designed by Krista Fleckenstein.  I gathered together a cheerful collection of fabrics and got to work.


I couldn't help but think how these squares remind me of the gum Chiclets.  So, that's what I named my version : )


I really love how the colours pop on the light grey background.


 the sort of fractured construction of the blocks keeps it from getting boring while piecing.



I haven't any idea how I am going to quilt this myself. It measures nearly 60 x 84. I left off the final border because it's a nice twin size just the way it is.

That's one thing off my list for the first quarter of the Finish Along. It won't officially count unless it's quilted, but I'm happy still.

Have a great week.


linking up with W.I.P. wednesday

40 comments:

Sarah said...

Gorgeous - love those colors and I'm always on the lookout for a grey like yours. They are hard to find.

Cindy Sharp said...

Love it!

Deborah said...

Love all the beautiful colors! Fabulous design!

dutchcomfort said...

That looks like a wonderful book! Love the Chiclets quilt!

Gill said...

I love this quilt! I'm off to check out the book now!

kat129 said...

Your chiclets look great! I love the balance between the punch of color yet the softness of the whole quilt. Thanks for sharing :-)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I loved Chicklets, and your Chicklets quilt turned out great.

Marta S. said...

This quilt is so gorgeous and so "you"! Fresh, clean and happy. What is the grey background fabric? I love it!

Heather D. said...

Definitely Chiclets! That's a blast from the past. Do they still sell those?

The quilt is great. Lovely against the snowy backdrop.

Gina said...

perfect name for your quilt! I love the colors you chose!!

quiltmania said...

Your chiclet quilt is fabulous!

Pat Merkle said...

Love it! :)

Heidi Staples said...

So pretty, and I love that name, Carla!

Catherine said...

That is a great design: it looks fantastic. Our snow here is just dissapointing - but hey, at least it's not raining!!

Patti said...

Love the fractured layout, and the Chicklets name is perfect for it!

Go-Go Kim said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!

felicity said...

Krista's one of my favourite people and this is one of my favourite quilt designs - you've done a great job!

Kelly said...

Gorgeous quilt!

Lynette said...

ooo, yes! Love that light gray background for these :D

julie bickel said...

I agree, the bright colors on the grey is so pretty!

giddy99 said...

It's SO awesome; lovely work. :)

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely quilt top! So fresh and happy!

Caroline said...

Chiclets looks great! I really like the grey fabric you used between the squares.

Jenniffier said...

Such a pretty top. I really like the background/neural color you choose.

Cathy said...

Love it! Which grey did you use?

Megan said...

What a pretty quilt! I see lots of people have asked about that grey background - same question from me! Love the snowy setting!

Kat said...

Very nice! I have quilted similar quilts (and larger) on my home machine. You can do it!

Caroline said...

Beautiful, Love the colors you chose!

Carla said...

What a great background color for the brights. Congrats on a "near" finish! I got a package from you today...thank you! And how nice to find an extra little "dash"!! Sweet!

Live a Colorful Life said...

SO bright and cheery- I love it, especially against that snow!

Brandie said...

You accomplish sew much! I'm jealous
It's another beauty!

Beth said...

Beautiful!

Karyn said...

Great colours and a perfect setting in the snow to photograph it.

wendyroomcreations said...

Carla the quilt is simply gorgeous. Philippa xx

Celtic Thistle said...

The quilt is beautiful Carla, I must check out that book too.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a beautiful finish :)

eva said...

Chiclets!!!!
yes, perfect!!
xo
eva

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful quilt and the name is perfect!

CitricSugar said...

I love this - so pretty!

SarahZ said...

Chiclets! Perfect! :)