Monday, September 15, 2014

MODERN FALL

This past month at the Modern Quilt Group I attend, we were issued a challenge.  It was 'Modern Fall'.  We could make anything we wanted.  I started with a fat quarter bundle of Shot cottons in plum and mustard and envisioned flying geese.

When I saw this block on Flickr, I was inspired to make it,  and turn it into a pillow


It's a quilt as you go tutorial that can be found at 'Let's Eat Grandpa' .  Everything in me wants to put a comma in there   : )

My first triangle ended up being a bit wonky but I decided to just leave it and make them all slightly crooked


I did straight line quilting in two different patterns which was easy and fun. For some reason the batting bearded through which is made more noticeable on the solid fabrics


The pillow ended up about 17 1/2" square


linking up with Anything goes Mondays
Linky Tuesdays

24 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I love it. The colors are wonderful and the lounge looks so inviting.

Martha said...

I love it. The colors are so fun and the quilting is the perfect touch for the design. Beautiful .

Lynne said...

Gorgeous pillow! Gotta love those shot cottons. I had to go to the link just to see the punctuation joke. Good one!

Linda said...

I love the wonkiness! Great pillow, great colors.

Karyn said...

It all comes together so well. The fabrics, the pattern and the quilting. Nice!

Unknown said...

It looks so great! Glad my tutorial worked for you ;-)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

What a great challenge! Your pillow is stunning :)

Kim said...

Yes to save poor ole Grandpa from an untimely end perhaps a comma would be best! As for your gorgeous pillow..........sublime!!

Sherry said...

Love it! Great colors & the quilting turned out wonderful. I was a little worried about Grandpa with no comma as well...LOL

Carla said...

What a fun pillow for fall, Carla. I love your wooden lawn chair, as well!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wow....what a striking pillow...so modern and bright.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

I've see that tutorial. (I too love anyone who understands grammar and can joke about it.) Your interpretation is so clever in its colour choices!

Carrie P. said...

perfect for fall.

dq said...

Your pillow is wonderful from the colors to the design!

canuckquilter said...

That is one fun pillow! Love the colors, love the design, love the quilting you chose.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

This is so fun! I'd never think to put these colors together myself... but I love them!

Gramma Quilter said...

Love! Love!

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

The colors are fabulous and you can't go wrong with wonky geese! Thanks for the link to the tutorial!

Ella and Nesta said...

Great combination of colours and the maxi flying geese are so fun!

Teresa in Music City said...

Love Love Love your pillow!!!!!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I love the wonky!

Anonymous said...

I love this pillow, the colours are perfect!

Nat at Made in Home said...

Cannot see anything wonky, but I do see a beautiful pillow -love these colours.

Mama Pea said...

I really like everything about this pillow. The color combination and the wonky triangles, the movement of the pattern and the quilting....I could go on. Again, love the photography, too.