Friday, August 26, 2016

SPOUTING OFF

It was the first thing that came to my mind when I thought about writing this post : )

I finished my bulky sweater the other day. I soaked it in some no rinse solution, and it took 2 days to dry.  It smells so lovely and feels very soft.



I started with a very basic top down cardigan pattern and made some changes. For one, the yarn is Cascade Magnum and it's knit on a 10mm needle. This yarn is meant to behave like the buffalo wool we used to see sweaters made from. Then, I googled 'whale chart patterns' and got a whole page full. Once I had an idea,  I drew up a chart to fit my number of stitches.



The rolled collar with be extra cozy in winter.  I haven't had a baby to try this on, but I'm thinking it will fit about a 2 year old


The wooden buttons are from my stash. I just knew they would come in handy some day


I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and would definitely make another.  We will see if someone wants one or not.  Next up -- a hat!

Happy stitching and thanks for stopping by.

22 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Darling!!! I love the spouters!!!

Ariane said...

This sweater is adorable.

quiltmania said...

Who wouldn't want one? It's adorable!

Tiffany said...

This is just so awesome. I'm in awe of your talent.

Tiffany said...

This is just so awesome. I'm in awe of your talent.

Debbie said...

This is like the cutest!!

Kim said...

It's not like you, Carla, not to have a baby or two toddling around somewhere. =) What an adorable cardie. Love the colours and the whale pictures are so very sweet. Another clever woolly from your magic needles!

Sarah said...

Such an adorable cardigan!! Will the hat have tassles at the peak to look like the blowhole spray of the whales?

W-S Wanderings said...

What a darling cardigan! I love timeless pieces like this. Gorgeous work, as always.

Jackie's Stitches said...

So very cute! Love the name too, it's perfect. the buttons really do suit the sweater. I love little sweaters!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

How cute! I love the whales.

Afton Warrick said...

Perfect post title, and that is just crazy adorable. Are you kidding; who wouldn't want one?

Heidi Staples said...

Carla, this is darling!!! It makes we wish that I worked with yarn too!

Karen S said...

This is wonderful. It looks so warm and the whales are gorgeous!

dutchcomfort said...

Oh my gosh, I love those wales!

rachel said...

I am pretty sure it is impossible to make anything cuter than this! And those buttons. All the heart eyes!

Live a Colorful Life said...

I just adore this!! I wish I could knit sweaters. Can I come for a private lesson?

Leanne Parsons said...

Those whales are fantastic! I love the rolled collar too.

Michelle said...

I love the colors and the whales -- they're so cute!

OPQuilt said...

You are like my sister: click, clack and a few minutes later out pops a little sweater. She's made a sweater for each of her grandkids, just like I make quilts. I so admire your little whale sweater--very cute! Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a wonderful knit :)

Kristen Rettig said...

Darling. Looks like a big hug.